Bye Bye baked meat pies and hello fried meat pies,this crunchy and delicious meat pie will keep you and your family drooling and asking for more, try this recipe out.
for meat pie filling
- 300g minced beef.
- 1 onion.
- 2 medium sized carrots.
- 2 potatoes.
- handfull chopped spring onions.
- 1 tsp curry powder.
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 stock cubes.
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour.
- half cup vegetable oil.
for making the pastry
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour.
- 1 tsp dry active yeast.
- 1/2 tsp baking powder.
- 1 tbsp butter.
- pinch of salt.
- 1/2 cup cold water.
to make meat pie filling.
- scrape carrots,peel potatoes wash,cut into cube sized chunks, cook,drain and set aside.
- in a pot add oil,minced meat,diced onions,curry,thyme,stock cube and stir fry for 3mins.
- add cooked carrots,potatoes and top up with half cup of water and allow to boil for 2mins.
- now make a running paste with flour and cold water.
- add the paste into the pot containing minced meat stir and cook for 5mins.
- allow to cool down completely.
to make meat pie pastry.
- in a bowl mix all dry ingredients and mix very well.
- now rub the butter against the flour mixture untill well incoperated (it will look like bread crumbs).
- now add water bit by bits and keep kneading the dough till you achieve a thick elastic dough.
- knead for another 5mins,cover and allow for 15mins.
- after 15mins bring out dough and knead some more.
- divide dough into 5 equal parts.
- dust your work surface with flour.
- roll out dough using a rolling pin to 5mm thickness.
- use a pot lid to cut out a round shape dough.
- remove excess dough around the cut dough.
- scoop some desired amount of minced meat filling on the round dough.
- fold one edge of dough to meet other opposite edge.
- use your hands to seal edges properly.
- use a fork and press against egdes to seal tight.
- seal with hands properly again.
- heat some amount of vegetable oil and deep fry on medium heat till golden brown.