shawarma is one of the most popular snacks in Nigeria ,make them yourself and enjoy every bit of it.
To make shawarma filling.
- Boneless beef meat.
- medium sized cabbage.
- 3 carrots.
- 1 cucumber.
- 2 tomatoes.
- 2 onions.
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise.
- 2 tbsp ketchup.
for the marinade
- 1 tsp thyme.
- 1 tsp curry powder.
- 1 tsp garlic powder.
- 1 tsp black pepper.
- 1 tsp chilli pepper.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil.
for shawarma bread.
- 3 cups plain flour/all purpose flour.
- 1 cup warm water.
- 1 tsp baking powder.
- 1 tsp salt.
- 2 spoons vegetable oil or 3 spoons butter
To make shawama filling.
- wash and cut all the vegetables into thin strips or grate the vegetables.
- cut beef into thin stripes.
N:B substitute chicken for beef if you are making chicken shawarma.
- in a bowl mix beef with all the marinades mentioned above,mix properly ,put in a nylon bag and refrigerate for 2hours or over night.
- heat some oil with onions add the beef and stir fry till meet cooks properly.
- allow to cool down completely.
To make bread
- in a bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt and vegetable oil properly.
- add warm water in bits and knead the dough for 5mins.
- cover and allow to stand for 20mins,
- after 20mins knead more and divide into 6 pieces use a rolling pin and roll out to form very flat dough of 5 to 6 inch circles.
- heat a non sticky pan on low heat and pick circle dough one at a time and place on the non sticky pan.
- when bubbles appear on the dough flip around till you achieve light brown patches allow to cool off and cover with a damp towel this keep them soft and moist.
- use a kitchen brush to dust bread.
- mix mayonnaise and ketchup properly.
- place a piece of bread on a flat surface (clean surface).
- rub mayonnaise/ketchup mixture on thr bread,arrange some vegetables and scoop scoop some desired amount of beef filling.
- wrap from one edge to oposite edge.
- wrape aluminium foil around the bread to hold evenly.
- microwave and enjoy.