From the northern part of nigeria comes alkaki,a newly wedded bride will present you this snack when you go visiting at the early weeks of her marriage,it can be enjoyed with pap,soft drinks etc.
- 4 cups whole wheat grains.
- 4 pieces of tamarind sticks.
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil for making the dough.
- vegetable oil for deep frying.
- 1/2 cup of water.
- 1 cup of honey.
- 1 spoon potash liquid.
- soak tamarind (tsamiya),sieve, and discard the chaff,set the liquid aside.
- wash and remove small grains of sand and dirt from from wheat grains,drain the water using a colander.
- dry the washed grains under the sun for 1hour.
- break the grains into semi solid texture using a blender/grinder or mortar and pestle(coarse in nature).
- in a bowl mix the wheat with small amount of tamarind liquid,add the half cup of water and knead the dough very well for 10mins.
- keep kneading the dough untill it forms a soft ball of dough like bread,add half cup of oil and you wil notice it will feel sticky knead some more add potash liquid.
- cover and allow to stand in a warm place over night.
- in the morning knead the dough some more.
- keep kneading and hitting against the kneading board,rub some oil on your palms to avoid sticking.
- now cut out a small piece of dough and roll between your palms forming a long cylindrical shape.
- fold it in half and twist like a rope and make it into a circle,
- heat the vegetable oil drop balls one at a time and deep fry.
- place on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- allow to cool down.
- soak the balls inside the honey or sugar syrup over night.
- and its ready.