This is a popular soup here in the north and common among the hausa people,it is prepared using boabab leaves powder and can be enjoyed with tuwo,semovita,cous cous etc.
- 1 cup baobab leaves powder.
- 1/2kg meat.
- dry fish.
- 1/2 tsp potash.
- 5 red bell peppers (blend).
- 1 piece of dry ginger.
- 5 pieces of cloves.
- 1 tbsp powdered iru/daddawa.
- 1 cup palm oil.
- 3 stock cubes.
- 2 atarodo/scotch bonnet.
- 1 diced onion.
- salt to taste.
- grind the daddawa/iru,scotch bonnet,ginger cloves together using a dry mill.
- wash the dry fish and pick out bones.
- in a medium sized pot heat the palm oil with diced onions.
- allow to fry well and add the red bell pepper paste,meat,grinded daddawa,scotch bonnet etc.
- stir fry this for 10mins or untill you can percieve the aroma coming out.
- now add some water to desired amount depending on how thick you want your soup to be.
- allow to boil untill the content of the pot starts to dry up,add salt and stir.
- now remove the meat from the pot leaving only the stock.
- add the potash and add half cup of water into the pot this will make the boiling drop and will prevent the soup from lumping.
- now start adding the baobab powder in bits slowly while you whisk the soup vigrously.
- whisk very well to get rid of lumps.
- when you are done whisking pour in the meat and dry fish.
- allow to cook on low heat for 7mins.