Tomato stew can be prepared with beef, chicken or fish. Cat fish in this case, is known for its delicious taste which can be used for various dishes, its unique taste and aroma makes it suitable for this recipe.
- 2kg fresh plum tomatoes.
- 1 big onion.
- 5 hebanero peppers.
- 4 stock cubes.
- salt to taste.
- 1/2 tsp thyme.
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder.
- 1 tbsp potash.
- 1 cat fish.
- 2 cups vegetable oil.
Before you cook tomato stew follow this steps.
- wash, remove seeds from tomatoes and hebanero peppers.
- blend tomatoes, onions and hebanero peppers (use blender with sharp edges or use a local grinder ).
- wash cat fish and cut into desired size.
- pour boiling water over the catfish and drain in a colander imediately set aside.
- pour the tomato paste into a medium size pot.
- add the potash and cook on high heat till the water from the tomato dries up completely.
- now add the oil inside the pot of tomatoes and stir fry on low heat.
- keep stir frying so it dont stick to the bottom of pot.
- when you notice that the oil has seperated from the tomatoes or the oil settles on top of the tomatoes this shows that its perfectly fried.
- if it feels to thick add some water to desired amount and stir fry again untill the oil settles at the top.
- now add the catfish, stock cubes, garlic powder, ginger powder, thyme and salt to taste.
- stir and allow to simmer on low heat for 10mins or till catfish is properly cooked.
- enjoy with white rice, yam e.t.c.